Monday, November 24, 2008

#85 11/01/08 "Penguins and marbles and beads! Oh my!!


I am a member of the society of women engineers or SWE for short.  Every month we do a couple different activities.  Today, we did a really fun one that took all day long.  I learned how to blow glass and make marbles and beads out of it.  Now I'm sure that sounds "super exciting" to all you non-engineers, but as for me, I loved it!  First you start out with a piece of glass that looks like a solid straw.  Then you put it under the flame and watch it get soft.  From there, you can mold it into whatever you'd like.  The trick is that you need to keep the glass hot at all times or else it will shatter and harden.  It's harder than it looks, trust me.  That's probably why I was there for a good 7 hours of my saturday.  This picture is not what my beads looked like at all, but they are pretty intricate.  Someday I'll be able to make them like this.  Ha!  Who am I kidding?

No comments: